Thursday 5 March 2009

David Lynch Exhibition and the Twitter Phenomenon


Having just discovered Twitter - I know, I know, nobody will shut up about it will they? - I am wondering how I ever managed before I started getting daily updates on the weather in LA courtesy of my favourite ever surrealist David Lynch.

March is all set to be a month of revelling in Lynchian visual dystopia for me. He is taking part in a photography exhibition here in England, in Derby. I can't wait to go and see it. I don't think he's gonna be there in person, just his pictures, which is even better, because I won't miss out on my LA weather reports and he can't shatter any illusions by turning out to be grumpy and rude. I'm sure he's not, but you know what they say about meeting your heroes. Don't do it, unless you want to be bitterly disappointed.

Actually, that's probably not strictly true. I have met some fairly cool people, but I've met some numpties too. Stay tuned for the true story about the time I accidentally nearly killed Quentin Tarantino (who was actually quite nice), and coming soon, a blog update about the experience of viewing Lynchian photography stills up close and in big frames. Now, I'll be damned if that hasn't whetted a few appetites!

Plus - Here's an added little extra for those of you who don't Tweet yet (you should try it, it's loads better than facebook, and you can follow movienoodle on there too!) Yes, it's one of David Lynch's Thoughts for the Day: "Life is a festival of disruptions."

Picture: David Lynch in Washington DC, 2007. By Urbankayaker, via Wikimedia Commons, published as part of the Wikipedia project: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:David_lynch.jpg